How Much Water Do You Need During Exercise?
You exercise regularly, include all the healthy food in your diet and are careful about your sleep quality. Is that enough? Well, almost. Proper hydration is something that you should also be careful about if you want your health to at the optimal. While you should consume a good quantity of water throughout the day, you need to be extra careful with your water intake during exercise.
According to the National Athletic Trainer’s Association, here is how you should consume water during exercise:
- 2-3 hours before:
- Consume 17 - 20 oz (2-2.5 cups) of a sports drink or water
- 10-20 minutes before:
- Consume 7 - 10 oz (around 1 cup) of a sports drink or water
- Aim to drink between 7 - 10 oz (~1 cup) of a sports drink or water every 10 to 20 minutes.
- If you are only doing moderate exercise or exercising for less than 45 minutes, you don't really need to consume a carb-containing sports drink. Plain water is enough.
- If you are someone who weighs yourself regularly, it is important to note that your weight may fluctuate before and after a workout. After exercising, your body could probably use extra hydration given all the sweating you just did!
- It is recommended you replenish your fluids preferably within 2 hours and not more than 4 to 6 hours after the exercise.
- You can have drinks containing sodium because that enables the fluid volume to be conserved better while enhancing your drive to drink. On the other hand, carbohydrates present in a drink increase the rate of absorption of the fluid in the intestines, and it also restores the stores of glycogen in the liver and the muscles.
Also, if you exercise regularly or lead an athletic lifestyle, you should take care of your iron levels because low iron levels can lead to iron-deficiency anemia, which can affect your energy levels, stamina and exercise performance.
Using the Lucky Iron Fish to make your Iron Water for the day is a great way to get your iron intake while you hydrate. infuse your water with natural iron is a great way to is a great cooking tool that you can use to add extra iron to your food. It’s simple, easy-to-use and very effective!