Creamy Broccoli Cauliflower Soup - Vegan and Gluten Free
A rich, satisfying soup that's low in carbs, gluten free, and vegan? It can be done! Blending the cauliflower in this soup gives it a fantastic creaminess, and you can add a cheese substitute or shredded cheddar cheese at the end if you wish for a tasty, vegan, veggie-loaded dish!
MAKES 6 Servings | PREP TIME 10 Min. | TOTAL TIME 1 hr.
- 1 Lucky Iron Fish
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 head cauliflower core removed and chopped into small florets
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 3 cups broccoli florets or frozen
- 1/3 cup shredded carrots (1-2 large carrots)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 ounces cheese alternative or shredded cheddar cheese, plus more for sprinkling on top, if desired
- crumbled bacon (optional), for sprinkling on top
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until translucent, about 4-5 minutes.
Add the cauliflower, nutmeg, dry mustard, cayenne, and a pinch of salt and pepper and saut é for 1-2 minutes.
Add the vegetable or chicken broth, bring the mixture to a boil and add the Lucky Iron Fish for 10 minutes. Simmer, uncovered, then remove Lucky Iron Fish, wash and dry thoroughly
- Simmer for another 10 minutes or until the cauliflower is very tender. You can break it up or mash while it's cooking to speed the process.
- Use an immersion blender, or transfer the mixture to a blender, and puree until smooth and creamy. Return the soup to the pot over medium heat and add the broccoli and carrot.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes, or until the broccoli is tender. If you are using frozen broccoli, you only need to cook until the broccoli is thawed and heated through.
Reduce the heat to low and stir in the cheese alternative or cheddar cheese a little at a time. For thinner soup, add additional broth or water to desired consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve in bowls and sprinkle with additional cheese alternative or shredded cheese and crumbled bacon, if desired.
Recipe adapted from Cupcakes and Kale Chips.